With the laid-back lifestyle that comes with the warm summer weather, it is important to remember small healthy eating choices to keep your body feeling good this summer. Keep these 5 everyday superfoods in mind the next time you are shopping at the market this summer.
- Berries. All berries are a great source of fiber. Fiber is an essential nutrient that can help to promote weight loss, and is very important for a healthy digestive system. Raspberries have the highest amount of fiber, with 8 grams per cup. They also contain ellagic acid, which is a compound that contains anti-cancer properties. A cup of blueberries contains 4 grams of fiber, but it also has anthocyanins, which are antioxidants that can help keep your memory sharp as you age. A cup of strawberries has 3 grams of fiber, as well as more than a full day’s recommended dose of vitamin C, which can help firm skin.
- Eggs. Eggs are a source of high-quality protein. They also leave people feeling more satisfied for a longer time. Egg yolks contain lutein and zeaxanthin, both which help keep eyes healthy. Lutein also helps shield skin from damage from the sun’s UV rays.
- Beans. Beans are a great plant-based source of iron, which transports oxygen from your lungs to the different cells in your body. Beans are also a major source of soluble fiber that benefits blood cholesterol levels.
- Nuts. Nuts are a source of heart-healthy unsaturated fats. Walnuts contain a high level of alpha-linolenic acid, which has been linked to heart health and improved mood.
- Broccoli. Broccoli is full of vitamins C, A, and K, which helps with bone health. It also delivers a healthy dose of sulforaphane, a special type of isothiocyanate that is thought to prevent cancer by stimulating the body’s detoxifying enzymes.
Access West Inc. would like to remind you to make healthy choices this summer, and to contact us with all of your insurance coverage needs in Murrieta, California.