A disaster can strike with little to no warning. While there may not be a way to predict disasters, there are many steps that you can take to prepare. Having the right emergency kit in your home and car can help to ensure that you are prepared for any unfortunate situation.
When stocking your emergency kit, it is important to make sure that you have certain necessities that will help during an emergency. Your emergency kit should include:
- One gallon of water per person, per day, for at least three days.
- A three-day supply of non-perishable food for both people and pets. Try and pack high-energy foods, such as nuts and dried fruit that will help keep your body fueled.
- A hand crank or battery powered radio. Make sure that you have spare batteries!
- Flashlights and extra batteries. Look for bright flashlights that are weatherproof.
- A first aid kit that has supplies for a wide range of injuries.
- At least a three-day supply of medications and an extra pair of reading glasses.
- Dust masks to help filter contaminated air, as well as duct tape and plastic sheeting to create a makeshift shelter if needed.
- A whistle that can be used to signal for help.
- Garbage bags, moist towelettes, and plastic ties for personal sanitation.
- A tool to turn off the utilities at your home.
- A can opener.
- Local maps.
Your car emergency kit should include these same items as well as flares, a blanket, jumper cables, and a jack. Having a special car emergency kit will help you be prepared in case of a disaster if you are not at home.
Having the right homeowners and auto insurance policies can help to ensure that you are covered from any disaster. For all of your insurance needs, contact Access West Inc. in Murrieta, California.