The cooler fall weather means that the even colder winter weather is just around the corner. To help make sure that your home is ready for the dropping temperatures and more time spent indoors, keep these maintenance tips in mind.
- Clean out your rain gutters. Make sure that your rain gutters are clear of any fallen leaves or other debris. Clogged rain gutters can cause water to back up into your roof and walls, causing hundreds or even thousands of dollars’ worth of damage.
- Turn your down spout. Check to make sure that your down spout is facing away from your home so that the run-off water does not damage the foundation of your home.
- Put away your tools. Clean all of your gardening tools and store them in a cool, dry place to make sure that they will be ready to use when the weather heats back up again.
- Check the furnace. Hire a professional to come out and check your furnace to ensure that it is working properly. Also make sure that they do any routine maintenance that need to be done.
- Clean out the fireplace. Hire a professional chimney sweeper to clean out your fireplace and chimney. Chimneys that are full of soot can easily cause a fire and push dangerous carbon monoxide fumes back into your home.
- Check your alarms. Test all of your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms throughout your home. Replace any alarms that are outdated or that are not working properly.
- Clean out your cabinets. Check all the cabinets in your kitchen and bathroom and throw out any food or medication that is expired.
One of the most important steps in preparing your home for the cold weather is to look over your homeowners insurance policy to ensure that you have the right amount of coverage for any situation. For all of your homeowners insurance needs throughout California, contact the insurance experts at Access West Inc. in Murrieta, California.